Representatives of Overseas Business
This is the most suitable route for companies to use when they wish to establish a commercial presence in the UK. To be able to apply under Representatives of Overseas Business category they must not already have any representative, branch or subsidiary in the UK (although if the company has a UK entity which does not employ staff or transact business it may still be possible). The company will need to send a senior employee of the overseas business (who was recruited overseas) to the UK to establish a UK branch or wholly owned subsidiary concerned with the same type of business as the overseas company.
The essential elements that the applicant needs to meet are as follows:
- Must be a senior employee of an overseas company who has no UK branch, subsidiary or other representative in the UK already;
- Must have been recruited overseas by the overseas company;
- Applicant must be given full authority to take all operational decisions on behalf of the overseas company in the UK;
- The UK entity that will be set up must carry out the same type of business as the overseas company;
- Applicant must have a proven positive track record in the same or very closely related field of work and when they are in the UK can only work for the company that they have come here to establish;
- Applicant must have a credible plan of how they will set up the UK Branch;
- Applicant needs to demonstrate basic English language ability and meet maintenance requirement;
- Applicant will initially be granted 3 years leave and then can apply for extend it for a further 2 years;
- This route can lead to settlement for the applicant (Indefinite leave to Remain) after five successful years in this capacity.
We have helped many clients to come to the UK to establish a commercial presence in the UK. There are quite an extensive list of documents that need to be submitted including documents concerning the company and the applicant. If you would like to arrange a consultation to discuss this category and how we could assist you in the making of the application then please do not hesitate to get in contact.