Tier 4 Student Visa

To study in the UK, you may need a student visa. There are two main types of UK student visa you can apply for – the Tier 4 Student Visa, and the Student Visitor Visa.

Tier 4 Student Visa

A person can apply, either in the UK or from outside the UK, for a Tier 4 Student Visa either as a child student (from the age of 4 upwards) or as an adult student. The course must be a full-time course (of at least 15 hours per week). The Tier 4 student must be sponsored by their school, college or university, which must issue a Certificate of Acceptance for Studies for them before a successful study visa UK application can be made. In some cases it is possible for a Tier 4 Student to work, on a part-time basis.

Student Visitor Visa

A person who is over 18 can apply to come to the UK as a student visitor to study a short course. Student visitors are not permitted to work at all. The maximum period for which this type of UK student visa can be granted is six months, unless the course is an English language course, in which case it is 11 months.


Indefinite Leave to Remain

Based on Five Years Leave on a Working Visa

Many visa categories, such as the old Work Permit and Highly-Skilled Migrant categories, the newer categories such as Tier 1 and Tier 2, and other visa types such as the Ancestry Visa, allow the visa holder to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK after five continuous years in the UK on that visa. In some cases applicants can combine together combinations of different working visas. Dependants may also be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain along with the visa holder.